URGENT Call for Donations: Blood Banks in Newcastle
Donating blood is a very special gift and could change someone’s life. It is a scary statistic that 1 in 3 people will need a blood donation at some point during their life span and given the size of the average Australian family, that could very well be somebody you love. The Australian Red Cross is urgently calling for people to donate blood. They currently have less than two days worth of emergency O negative (O-) blood type. This blood type is used to save the lives of people who don’t know their blood type, making it incredibly rare and valuable.
The Donormobile will be hitting many locations across Newcastle and the Hunter in the coming months. This is your chance to help make a difference to someone’s life.
Most people are able to give blood if:
- are fit, healthy and not suffering from a cold, flu or other illness at the time of donation or in the previous 7 days
- are aged between 16-70 years
- weigh more than 45kg (16-17 year olds need to weigh more than 50kg)
- drink up in the 24 hours before donation, especially in warm weather, and have at least 3 to 4 good-sized glasses of water/juice in the 3 hours before donating (plasma and platelet donor need to drink at least 6 to 8 glasses)
- eat something in the 3 hours before donating
- bring ID. Please bring at least one form of photo identification.
These are just a selection of the opportunities you’ll have to donate blood in the next 2 months. For more information, see the Australian Red Cross website.
Thurs, 9 June 1 - 6pm; Fri, 10 June - Sat, 11 June 10am - 3pm
Mon, 6 June 9am - 3pm; Tues, 7 June - Thurs, 9 June 1pm - 7pm; Fri, 10 June 9am - 3pm
Wed, 20 July - Thurs, 21 July 1 - 7pm; Fri, 22 July 9:30am - 3pm
Fri, 29 July 9:30am - 2:30pm
Mon, 27 June - Thurs, 30 June 1pm - 6:30pm; Fri, 1 July 9:30am - 3:30pm
Mon, 20 June - Wed, 22 June 10am - 4pm; Thurs, 23 June 1 - 6pm; Fri, 24 June 10am - 4pm
Mon, 11 July - Wed, 13 July 1 - 7pm
Fri, 17 June 9:30am - 2:30pm; Mon, 25 July - Tues, 26 July 1:30 - 6:30pm; Wed, 27 July 9:30am - 2:30pm
Donormobile will be located adjacent to Amcal Chemist. Tues, 5 July 10am - 3pm; Wed, 6 July - Thurs, 7 July 1 - 6pm; Fri, 8 July 9am - 2pm
Thurs, 14 July 1 - 6pm; Fri, 15 July 10am - 3pm